(AGENPARL) – ESCH -ALZETTE (LUXEMBOURG), ven 18 giugno 2021
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a Group Leader? Join our IT for Innovation Services department
The IT for Innovative Services (ITIS) department, with its 100 researchers and engineers, focuses on the digital transformation of operations in organizations with traditional environments and digital ecosystems, with the aim of improving their performance and innovation capacity. The common thread throughout ITIS is to develop the most efficient use of big data to ensure the most appropriate decision-making processes.
The department relies on the Data Analytics Platform: a hybrid infrastructure covering the entire range of data analytics activities. The platform is based on three pillars: a high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure, a cognitive analytics pillar and an interactive visualization wall (Viswall).
The successful applicant will take the role of the Group Leader of Optimisation & Machine Learning group of TSS (ORISON), which presently counts 7 highly motivated researchers. The group is active research, development and innovation projects in the field of Optimisation and Machine Learning applied to the domains of Distributed Supply Chains, Mobility and Industry.
How will you contribute?
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is looking for an Optimization and Machine Learning Group Leader (ORISON). The successful candidate’s main challenges will be to strengthen a work environment conducive to a constant bubbling of ideas that will allow developing innovative solutions to societal and industrial problems. He/she will be participating in fostering a positive work environment, enhancing good collaboration and teamwork, and for finding relevant synergies with other research groups at LIST and external partners at the national and international levels.
The selected candidate will have to further develop and lead some research topics in order that the ORISON becomes a nationally renowned and internationally visible research group, reaching a critical size and impact within 3/4 years. To this aim, and depending on her/his previous experience, the Group Leader will leverage different funding schemes at national and EU levels. Therefore, the successful Group Leader (together with the team members) will have to write and submit research proposals for national and international competitive funding. To that respect, she or he shall demonstrate a proven track record of funded proposals, ideally from European programs like H2020. As part of the RDI activities, results should be disseminated, valorised and transferred as patents, licenses, prototypes, publications, and technical reports and should build the foundation for future projects.
Examples of related topics of interest for the ORISON group of TSS are:
- Robust and efficient algorithms for large scale stochastic optimization problems, including approaches based on hyper heuristics.
- Integrated optimization machine learning frameworks for large scale problems, big data and related analytics, in particular with respect to industrial and/or value chain problems.
- Adaptive responses and decision making processes under uncertainty through machine learning techniques such as reinforcement learning.
- Distributed Simulation in Operational Research.
As a Group Leader, you will be responsible for the management, coordination, development and performance of the ORISON group. Your main missions will consist in:
Developing the ORISON group’s strategy:
- Refine and implement – in concertation with the Head of Unit and in alignment with LIST’s missions as an RTO – the RDI strategy of the group;
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of innovative products and services, transferable to the private and public sectors;
- Develop national, regional and international collaborations and partnerships through fundamental and applied research projects and service activities;
- Negotiate collaborations and joint research programs with administrations and ministries.
Managing the ORISON group through:
- Fostering interdisciplinary approaches across the group, unit and department;
- Empowerment of people via the delegation of tasks, as a strong motivational source, offering opportunities to your colleagues in acquiring new skills, expertise, self-confidence, productivity and career development perspectives;
- Provide regular feedbacks, identify personal development needs and promote them, ensure that development plans are effectively implemented.
- Appraise team members’ performance with the guidance of HR partners;
- Management of a portfolio of national and international projects and activities, aligned with the group’s and unit’s vision, missions and goals;
- Support to the Head of unit for reporting financial and performance indicators.
Ensuring ORISON group’s dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results and outputs through:
- Participation in the drafting of scientific articles, technical reports, patents and inventions;
- Software licensing;
- Participation in the implementation of technological solutions (proof-of-concepts, prototypes).
Securing scientific excellence and technological watch through:
- Leveraging the ORISON group’s long-term data and monitoring resources;
- Developing and promoting optimisation in the industrial applications;
- Exploring – across the ITIS units – potential connectivity between concepts and approaches proper to distributed AI, Edge computing, communication networks, visualisation as well as for end2end infrastructures security.
Ensuring the research group’s administration:
- Ensure the financial follow-up of the group’s performances;
- Manage the portfolio of associated projects and activities;
- Represent the group and promote its achievements internally and externally.
Must have requirements
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- PhD in areas including: Computer science & machine learning, operations research, industrial engineering, electrical engineering, or a related discipline
- Minimum 15-year RDI experience after the completion of PhD, with ideally at least three years in RDI group management or large RDI program management;
- Excellent programming skills (Python/R/Matlab/C/C++/Java)
- Strong background in at least one of the following areas: machine learning, stochastic optimization, development of algorithms for large scale optimization, artificial intelligence, or big data and analytics
- Experience in the writing of large national and/or EU projects proposals
- Be used to set-up new academic and industrial collaborations
- Have a proven experience in the acquisition and management of RDI projects (EU and/or national)
- Demonstrate a strong experience in developing innovative products and services and bringing to the market new technological solutions
- Challenge and results-oriented mind-set
- Capacity to generate new ideas, concepts, and solutions
- Ability to collaborate within an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, presentation)
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
- 32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
English Read C1 Write C1 Speak C1
Minimum required education
Required work experience in years
15 or more years.