(AGENPARL) – ESCH -ALZETTE (LUXEMBOURG), lun 14 giugno 2021
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as an Engineer? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
Within the ERIN department, the ‘Environmental Sensing and Modelling’ (ENVISION) unit is carrying out impact-driven research, geared towards monitoring, forecasting and predicting environmental systems in a changing world.
An interdisciplinary team of around 50 scientists, engineers, post-docs and PhD candidates is developing new environmental process understanding, alongside new tools and technologies – operating at unprecedented spatial and temporal scales.
Embedded into the ENVISION unit, the ‘Agro-environmental Systems’ (AGRO) research group has its focus set on natural systems in a changing environment. Agronomists, entomologists, plant pathologists, climatologists, atmospheric chemists, and soil microbiologists apply interdisciplinary approaches geared towards a more efficient and sustainable use of ecosystem services in the challenging context of global change.
Our goal is to better understand and develop novel management strategies and technologies that reduce the environmental footprint of anthropogenic activities in a context of increasing societal demands and climate change. Within the conceptual framework of Climate Smart Agriculture, the major deliverables of the AGRO group consist in policy support and decision support tools for public services. We rely on a holistic approach for investigating the bio-geophysical functioning of environmental systems including gaseous and particulate immissions and emissions – with a specific focus on air quality aspects.
How will you contribute?
As an air quality engineer, you will deal with several types of air pollution that can affect all parts of the environmental system including human health effects.
You will monitor, assess, and report on ambient air quality in both urban and rural areas. This includes:
- planning and implementing field experiments,
- manage technical aspects related to environmental measurements, including the management of equipment, ordering of consumables and chemicals, management of stocks,
- participate in technical meetings,
- maintenance and calibration of gas and aerosol analysers,
- basic data analysis activities,
- support the preparation of project reports, publications or patent drafts,
- participate in the data management of the group and the department,
- participate in the data management of the group and the department.
Must have requirements
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a master’s degree in environmental science, meteorology, physics, chemistry, geo-ecology or a comparable discipline with a strong focus on technical applications and instrumentation. You have at least 3 years of hands-on work experience in:
- Measurements of atmospheric trace gases (e.g. CO2, NH3, NOx, O3), particle concentrations and particle size distributions (ultrafine, submicron, super-micron)
- Measurements of biogenic soil trace gas emissions via automated soil chamber techniques
- Communicating both orally and through written reports results of studies, field experiments, or ongoing monitoring programmes to peers and supervisors
- Deployment and maintenance of gas and aerosol analysers
- Extended field measurements including variable solutions for power supply
- Inspecting sites
- Statistics, with specific skills in data analysis
Additionally, you are experienced in:
- Working with and reporting to scientists
- Testing experimental designs and recommending changes
- Working collegially in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Reporting/presentation skills
- Contributing to scientific publications and project proposal writing
And you have:
- Knowledge of data acquisition techniques, including data logger programming and high frequency data recording
- Basic knowledge in meteorological measurements
- Basic understanding in R or comparable data processing software
Finally, you are fluent in English and German. French and Luxembourgish are considered as an asset.
This position required a driving license valid in Luxembourg
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
• A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
• A scientific CV with contact details;
• Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
• LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will
consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
• Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
• An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
• The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
English Read C1 Write C1 Speak C1
Read C1 Write C1 Speak C1
Minimum required education
Required work experience in years
3 or more years.