(AGENPARL) – ESCH -ALZETTE (LUXEMBOURG), lun 14 giugno 2021
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You’d like to contribute as a Technician? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The ERIN department relies on two cutting-edge platforms: the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform (BEAP) and the Observatory for Climate, Environment and Biodiversity (OCEB).
How will you contribute?
You will join ERIN’s Observatory for Climate, Environment and Biodiversity (OCEB), a multidisciplinary platform including researchers and engineers who push the state of the art in ecological monitoring and assessment. The OCEB platform produces scientific evidence for supporting the policy-making process towards sustainable and informed management of natural resources in Luxembourg. One of the OCEB’s missions is to coordinate the national biodiversity monitoring programme in Luxembourg, with a particular emphasis on species of European conservation interest, invasive alien species and wild insect pollinators.
Are you a skilled and highly motivated technician with experience in biodiversity inventories and sampling approaches? If yes, you can strengthen our BIODV team’s fieldwork capacities for ongoing projects on biodiversity monitoring and assessment in Luxembourg. The team is composed of biodiversity experts who will share their expertise and know-how with you.
Your main missions are:
- Active participation in data/sample collection in the field for several groups of species (mostly butterflies and other insect pollinators, mammals, but also to a lower extent plants, amphibians, reptiles, freshwater invertebrates, and microalgae). This general activity includes a range of tasks, e.g.:
-Acquisition and management of field equipment and sampling material
-Preparation of field maps using GIS applications
-Development of field forms and data encoding systems
-Inventories and/or sample collection in the field
- Handling and processing field samples in the lab (e.g. wildcat hairs, freshwater invertebrates, flying insect pollinators)
- Encoding, managing, and processing data (e.g. pictures-videos from camera traps, sounds from audio recorders)
- Participation to the development of prototype devices for automated biodiversity data acquisition that could lead to patent filing
- Maintaining state of the art knowledge and know-how in your technological field
- Documenting your own work adequately to ensure the reproducibility and guarantee the traceability of the results
- Contribution to the preparation of technical and analytical reports, or presentations when required
- Definition of new processes, methods, protocols, systems and solutions to comply with RDI project requirements
Must have requirements
Is your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a bachelor’s degree or two-year undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as environmental/biological sciences or equivalent.
Additionally, your key experience and competencies are:
- Field experience with biodiversity data collection and sampling methods and tools
- Good identification skills for some of the species groups targeted by the biodiversity monitoring programmes in Luxembourg
- Acquaintance with the implementation and development of biodiversity monitoring programmes
- Pronounced sense of organization and ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including communication, team spirit and collaboration mindset
You hold a driving license valid in Luxembourg and you are at ease to use vehicles in the field.
You have a sufficient level of English to communicate efficiently with your teammates. French and/or Luxembourgish would be an asset.
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV;
- Contact details of 2 references (if possible).
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
English Read B1 Write B1 Speak B1
Minimum required education
Required work experience in years
0 or more years.